Saturday 21 June 2014

Raising Awareness (1) - Paul's Cancer Support Centre



For a long time I couldn't talk about cancer without getting upset.  In January 2014 I turned some sort of corner and was able to present my experiences to a group of people invited to the 30th AGM of Paul's Cancer Support Centre; including local GPs, Macmillan nurses, centre users and other volunteers, along with some of my lovely friends who turned up to support me.  I was asked to talk about how the Centre had benefited me, which of course I was happy to do. I honestly don't know where I would be without some of the people I met there and the techniques I've learned to help in stressful situations - most days I think I use something I learned! Yes, life working in the NHS doesn't get any easier!

The photo below of myself with Mr. Nicholas Hyde, Clinical Director at St. George's Hospital and Dr. Anthony Cunliffe, Macmillan lead GP for Wandsworth, was taken for our local Wandsworth Guardian newspaper which published an article to raise awareness of the Coping With Cancer Stress Course.  The course is now available on-line.  

I indulged myself with a favourite quote from Tove Jansson's Moomins at the end of the talk:
"For a while she considered being ill, but then she changed her mind".
I was trying not to laugh with my hair tangled in the flower arrangement behind!



No comments:

Post a Comment