Sunday 4 March 2018

Practical Suggestions to Help Yourself on a Bad Day

When you're having a bad day: dealing with depression, hospital appointments, lack of focus, or generally feeling out of sorts, it can feel almost impossible to "look on the bright side", "see the positives", "find comfort in the small things".  I've been there and back, and then some.  I'm not some self-help guru or claiming that these will help you, but they are all things that I've tried and that have helped me to feel more positive about things.  


1.  Distract yourself. A frequent suggestion in magazines and blogs is "listen to your favourite music and dance in your living room", but I honestly can't see myself doing this when I'm feeling down.  Music just seems to upset me and has done for years.  Instead, put some headphones on, find a comfy spot and listen to a podcast or radio show, preferably an amusing one.  Lately I've enjoyed a short series recommended by a friend, "Angstrom", a take-off of a Scandi-Noir detective serial which had me laughing away to myself. Lots of brooding, warm jumpers and a maverick, alcoholic detective.  Oh, and the ghost of a duck.

2. When I really can't think what to do to cheer myself up, I find that if I at least do something useful, I can feel some accomplishment in that, even if I am no more cheerful than when I started! If you are miserable, doing a task you don't like much means you don't spoil a good mood later by having to do it then! The other day, I cleaned my windows, which I hate doing, but when I finished, they looked better and I felt a bit better too.  

3. Related to the above, prepare some food for the week ahead so you have some healthy lunches or dinners. Last weekend I made some houmous, which is an easy practical task but made me feel like I was caring for myself by making something healthy to eat during the rest of the week.  As a bonus, it is a good snack for when you really don't feel like cooking.  Another thing I often do is cook some rice or roast some vegetables, then you have the basis for a rice salad or a quick soup or a meal in itself with hardly any effort. 

3. Do something which requires some concentration.  I like taking photos and once, when I didn't want to go for a walk or exercise, I just took my camera out into my tiny back garden.  I realised there were quite a few ladybirds and spent about an hour trying to get good shots of the different types.  It was very absorbing and I used some of the photos in a community garden newsletter.  As by-products, I got some fresh air, began to think about the newsletter, did a bit of reading about ladybirds and planned what to write.


4.  I  have taken a lot of pleasure in nice scent but I think smell is a sense we often take for granted. You may notice a nice (or horrid!) smell when you encounter it, but personally I often forget that we can control it (apart from wearing perfume). We live near a candle supplier which also does reed diffusers.  Making our rooms smell nice really seems to lift the spirits.  My favourite at the moment is Rosemary and Bay which makes the house smell fresh but not artificial.  If you prefer a more natural option, a potted indoor hyacinth can smell beautiful.

5. Spicy food. I always feel better after some chillies! Looking into it, there is a scientific reason. Substance P is produced by nerve cells in response to the perceived pain of the capsaicin in chillies.  The brain responds to this by releasing endorphins to block the pain signals.  Additionally, dopamine, another neurotransmitter - responsible for pleasure and reward feelings - is released.  Hence we can get cravings for spicy food.  Can't say I often get the "runner's high" but I definitely get a "chilli high".  Here's a link to other foods that should increase happiness.

Home-grown chilli plant

6. Plan something to look forward to - a gig, meeting a friend, a weekend away, or a look for some inspiration for a longer holiday if possible.  Research somewhere to go and something to do.  Laying down some definite plans helps me feel more positive.  We are planning a short break to Cornwall so I've looked up a wildlife Safari trip, a restaurant we want to visit, a walk on the South West Path, and a visit to an RSPB reserve, Ham Wall on the way back with an overnight stay in Glastonbury.

Cornwall, March 2017

7.  When all else fails and I'm having a terrible day, I try to remember something a friend said once, "oh, I'm probably tired". It's generally true but easy to forget this.  Don't be hard on yourself - "tomorrow is another day", as Scarlett O'Hara said.

Here's a link to some other ways to Get Back on Track.

No comments:

Post a Comment